Wednesday, June 9, 2010

SAME TASTE DIFFERENT PLACE

Recently enroute to Penang, I made a stopover at Bercham to check out their famous dish, the Claypot Glass Noodles with Crab (砂锅冬粉蟹). For those unfamiliar with Ipoh, Bercham is located very close to the Ipoh Selatan exit of the PLUS Highway.

Driving along Jalan Bercham, we stumbled upon Restoran Same Taste (味也同海鲜楼) while looking for its more famous cousin, Kedai Makanan Rasa Lain (味不同海鲜坊). Interestingly, their names appear to be a delibrate pun on each other - with the proprietor of Same Taste (whom I later found out is a sibling of the chef at Rasa Lain) appearing to convey that their fare is as good as the original, while the proprietor of Rasa Lain (in obvious disagreement) seems to be insisting that their fare is different and better!


When they brought out the dish, I must declare it wasn't love at first sight. What was presented before me was in total contrast to what I had imagined the dish to be. The glass noodles and crabs (2 whole crabs) were completely immersed in a steaming hot broth (I was expecting a much drier version). The thick broth (something of a cross between soup and gravy) has a very unique buttery flavour further enhanced with peppercorns and the wholesome goodness of pork bacon and seafood (crabs).

A tad too salty for my liking, it will probably take a few more dates before I warm up to this dish, which is popular amongst the locals. Or whether I will fall instead for her sister, the Claypot Crab Rice (砂锅蟹饭), only time will tell.

Claypot Glass Noodles with Crab (砂锅冬粉蟹) - RM50 for 3-4 pax.


Restoran Same Taste (味也同海鲜楼)

Address: 222 & 224, Jalan Bercham, 31400 Ipoh, Perak.
Contact number: N/A.
Reservation: Not required.
Opening hours: N/A.
Cuisine: Chinese (non Halal).
Must order: Claypot Glass Noodles with Crab (砂锅冬粉蟹).
Must not order: N/A.
Budget for 4 pax: RM50.

My verdict: 2 stars.

No comments: