Sunday, August 31, 2008

HUAT A START TO THE FOOD TRAIL

My first assignment on the food trail for this blog turned out to be a so-so one.

Armed with my trusty Garmin, we were out of the house by 7:00am on Merdeka day heading towards Kedai Makanan Seng Huat in Klang, with only a few souls scurrying about the Federal Highway at that hour. We had high expectations of this BKT joint, having heard from acquintances that the place becomes very crowded from 8:00am.

The picture below will clearly depict the reason why this restaurant is commonly referred to as the "BKT under the bridge".

When we arrived, the place was not crowded with only a couple of tables filled. There was a party of greying gentlemen on one table, leisurely sipping their tea while discussing aloud the week's current affairs.

We specified our preferred choice of cut, and our orders arrived very soon after. The BKT here is served in bowls. The stew as expected was thick but not heavy in herbal flavour. Innards can be added as desired. Other side dishes that are available to accompany the BKT meal include tofu & tofu puffs, yau char kuey and hard boiled eggs. Vegetables are not available. Second helpings of BKT soup are served in small rice bowls.

I have no complaints about the bill which came out to RM48 for a party of six. Business picked up with customers streaming in when we were ready to leave.



Kedai Makanan Seng Huat

Address: No.9, Jalan Besar, Klang.
Contact number: N/A
Reservation: Not required
Opening hours: 0730-1200, 1730-2030 (Daily)
Cuisine: Chinese (Non Halal)
Must order: N/A
Must not order: N/A
Budget for 4 pax: RM40

My verdict: 2 stars

7 comments:

BlogCe5nT said...

Be nice to include the GPS Coordinates so others can use their GPS to navigate there. This way, we can promote the use of GPS.

2 Romans 1 Impostor said...

This place is identified on MalSing, so no worries there.

Claire said...

Tried dried BKT before? :P

2 Romans 1 Impostor said...

Dry BKT is more like a distant cousin. Hardly related. I like my BKT the old fashioned way. But the distant cousin does go well with rice.

BlogCe5nT said...

To continue the discussion on BKTs on this thread. There is another variety of BKT called Teo Chew BKT. It is the lightest soup version.

The place is Chao Zhou BKT, Jalan SS18/1B, Subangj Jaya (opposite the SS17 Police Station).

Attracts a good crowd everyday that it opens for lunch and dinner (closed on Monday). I think people who have health challenges but cannot resist BKT patronise it (my 5-cent theory!).

Here are the GPS coordinates : N 03 04.367 E 101 35.131.

2 Romans 1 Impostor said...

Interesting! I remember that there was a period in my life where the Teo Chew BKT attracted my palate.
When I was younger I used to consider all black-coloured eats as bitter and horrible (silly me!). So the Teo Chew version, served in a clear soup but by no means less herbal, was my alternative to the original Hokkien version.

Will definitely give this Chao Zhou BKT place a try. Go ahead and create a new posting for this place should you beat me to it!

Claire said...

Oh yeah...the clearer soup version of BKT... I remember seeing that on TV. Would like to give it a try. Thanks for the info!